Monday, May 26, 2008

05/23/08; Arrive in Dublin and travel to Galway

As I first set eyes on Dublin. The only thing I could use to describe it is one of thoughs small scale model towns. It looked exactly as if someone had designed it using thoughs tiny fake trees. I also noticed several groups of what must have been large animals in the fields. I’m guessing these were horses since I noticed some of them moving and they must have been moving rather quickly for me to be able to tell from so high up.

Once I landed in Dublin I quickly moved through customs and the air port. But that was where the fairy tail ended. As I began to search for hostels to stay in I found it to be impossible. After getting turned around and having to take a train and a tram to find the place I eventually found the office in charge of euro passes. (Avery and Ryan, if your reading this you need to get yours in America. They’re much cheaper online.) The girl there was wonderful, she actually made since of my travel plans and set me up with exactly the passes I would need. Which was quite surprising since I was the very last person to be helped by their office as they were about to go on strike ie: I would have been dead in the water. After that she was kind enough to point me in the direction of the hostels.

Here’s where things became annoying. Once I finally arrived at the hostels I found there were none to be found. Some free big name concert had brought everyone from the outskirts to the middle of the city (Bad news for me). After considering my options I decided to brave traveling further. I ended up deciding on Galway; a town on the west coast of Ireland directly across from Dublin. I had to take a bus rather than a train because guess what. They were on strike as well. This took a miserable six hours because as much as I would have liked to watch the sights, at this point I was so tired I was drifting in and out of sleep.

Once arriving in Galway I found it to be a beautiful little town with many different shops and sites to see. It is much like Charleston I think because of the many historic buildings and abundance of shops on its enormous market street. Every day it fills up with bar goers and street performers. I eventually found a little one room place to stay in for the three nights I will stay here. It isn't cheap, but its private and relaxing which is what I need right now.





During my dinner the waitress, Sally, was kind enough to recommend good places to go in the area and show me how to find the upcoming events by looking in the set list section of the local newspaper.

The people here are as nice as they could be. No matter how dumb the question or obvious the answer, everyone seems more than happy to help and talk to someone they don’t know.

No comments: