Tuesday, May 27, 2008

05/27/08; When it rains it pours...

As my title suggests it started raining last night and hasn't quit. The news is not reassuring either, so I am in desperate need of some rain shoes that also keep out the cold. At the moment I am limited to my crocs which aren't very good for the cold. Unfortunately my tennis shoes wont be much better once they get wet. So I'm in a bind, think I may brave the cold in my crocs till I can find something to replace them with.
This place is much different than the last place I stayed; the common rooms are all underground in what would feel like a bunker if not for the brightly painted walls. Their are about eight different rooms here with twenty something people to a room much like the rooms the army uses for soldiers. Most concerning is that once you've gotten into your room. Peoples stuff is strewn about everywhere with no organization or security to speak of. No one seems overly concerned about theft though and the only time anything I care about is not on my person is when I'm asleep and then the rooms filled with people anyways.
Met someone new this morning at breakfast, an Italian named Fitzbrith (well at least I think that's it). He's actually working here for a couple of months before he goes back to Italy to finish his schooling.
People still start singing out of nowhere here, which always brings a smile to my face. Apparently the Irish failed to develop all of the socially conscious fears that we have developed.
Well I'm off, I must find some boots and I will attend the Guinness brewery today if theirs time since it's so nasty outside.

I I solidified my travel plans up until June 2nd and saw much of the shopping district today, but sadly I will have to save the Guinness Brewery for tomorrow. Luckily, i did finally find some nice waterproof Columbia hiking boots which weren't too expensive. Much preferable to what i was walking around the city in (picture below). That purchase should keep the rain away for now on.
The city is amazing, even outside the hostel I can never guess which language I'm going to hear next. Their seems to be just so many foreigners here. I believe many of them actually live here too which seems strange to me.

That's right, i rocked the redneck look; Couldn't be helped.

Living in the midst of a hundred plus people is great. Adding to the guy this morning I have met four more people today. Ashley and Damien an estranged couple who have somehow decided no longer to travel together since I talked to them this afternoon; we should all be leaving to eat dinner together soon. And Molly and Evelin, two very meek girls traveling together who sleep next to me. Molly is writing a thesis on Saint Bridget and hopes to co-op in Galway next year.

No comments: