Friday, May 30, 2008

05/29/08; Travel days suck unconditionaly

Today was not a good day. It was made worse by the fact that I thought everything was planned to perfection. I was wrong. The original plan was this: get up hang around the hostel after check out till two then lunch, then pick up luggage and take a bus to the airport where I would take a cheap flight on Ryanair directly to Edinburgh. I signed up for a 6:30 flight wishing (this is the funny part), wishing that I could find an earlier time for just as cheap. Here's a fun fact about Europe that you may or may not know. Everyone speaks about and tells time the way we do. However, train and bus schedules are all done in 24 hour time. If you haven't figured it out yet this is where things went wrong. I showed up to the airport thinking I was three hours early, but when I gave the information desk the confirmation number the look on the woman's face said it all and my heart sank. The possibility that I might actually be seven hours late had never even occurred to me. I may as well have taken one hundred and forty dollars out of my pocket and instead of use it to pay for a much needed plane ticket crumple it up spit on it and toss it in the river. Then I had to purchase a new plane ticket which cost significantly more than the first one to Glasgow and then buy a train ticket to Edinburgh. Well though requiring more money than I could afford it seemed the most reasonable action to take. The information desk assured me that the train to Edinburgh left from the Glasgow airport and would be quite easy to find. Well after arriving I spent twenty minutes trying to find the customs agents which had apparently skipped off work early to get them to stamp my passport. (Yes, I am in the UK with out any stamp in my passport accepting me into the country. I don't know how serious this is I just know It's ill advised. If anyone else knows more please let me know.) Next problem: I give up on the customs agents and walk out side. I see signs for the car park, signs for taxis and signs for buses. THEIR ARE NO TRAINS! Last train for Edinburgh leaves at 11:30 (I asked in Dublin), and it was now 10:45. The local bus driver was kind enough to take me all the way to the train station I needed, but I still had to run through the maze of a station to find the right train minutes before it left.
Not everything was bad today though, on the Train I met a man of similar age named Roberto from Madrid. Being a traveler himself, Roberto gave me some of the best help in planning my trip as I had received so far. Among other things he told me about a popular European website called freecouch.com where travelers sleep for free on peoples couches. Apparently many of his friends were now dating people they had met this way. Still, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to sleep on the couch of an absolute stranger. Interesting peace of knowledge though. Even though at this point I was just wondering what might go wrong next, all of my anxiety was lifted once I saw Edinburgh Castle from the taxi window. Gracing the top of an enormous cliff above the city, this castle is the most magnificent thing I have ever set eyes on. Pictures will come soon. I cant wait to explore it.


....That enough for you Baker?

1 comment:

lee said...

I went through Europe without ever getting a stamp. I tried and they would refuse to stamp it. I doubt anyone has a problem with it.