Monday, May 26, 2008

05/24/08; Exploring Galway

Today started rather late as I indulged my love for sleep by staying in bed until 11, a necessary evil after yesterday’s lack of it. I started by going shopping for food to cut back on breakfast and lunch costs. Then I went for a walk afterwards. I started by continuing to explore the market and shop streets then I was lucky enough to stumble across the coast. I enjoyed this part the most and walked a great distance. There were great sites to be seen their including the whistling gate on the causeway and what I suspect was a classic example of the cheap date in this city, two people kissing over a bottle of wine in the park. Let’s not forget the fat lane sign spray painted on the running track. I love it when the defacing of public property is creative. On my way back I stopped in a little traditional Irish place with awesome Sheppard’s pie.




















Well, I can hear the bar crowd. Time for me to go…

I love the Irish. I can only hope that Dublin is a lot like Galway. I thought everyone was nice before. The Irish know how to go to a pub; you can drink inside, upstairs, or outside. Most importantly there are no boundaries. You can sing or dance anytime you like even if you’re the only one doing it at the time. Most beneficial to me, you can talk to anyone with out seeking the comfort of your friends. I can honestly start a conversation with anyone in the city and almost instantly I and they act as if they were one of my best friends.

Btw: the dialect is beginning to grow on me, tonight i have noticed an Irish dialect in my head as I have thought to myself. Apparently it doesn’t take long, tonight I first met Heather who was with a hen. (means her girlfriend was going to get married) they really wanted me to join them and drink with them all night Heather also gave me her number, she said they would take me out when I was in London (apparently that’s where the hen was from). Unfortunately I went to find a cash machine and never could find the club they were going to afterwards (theirs a picture of me and Heather below; kind of an awkward hat for a guy to wear I know, but they insisted) Next I met Bernie, a girl at another pub who introduced me to the rest of her friends including Matt and Sarah. The interesting thing about Matt and Sarah was that Matt was from Oregon and Sarah was from Galway. The funny thing was that after just 6 months I couldn't’t tell Matt from another Irishman. I honestly never would have known he was American if I hadn’t been told so in the beginning. Anyways, I can still hear people singing outside my window. I may go walk around some just to see who’s around.

No comments: