Friday, May 30, 2008

05/30/08; It rains again

Yes, The rain never seems to stop here sometimes. My new boots and jacket are quickly becoming my most prized possessions. I missed breakfast this morning but I was taken aback as I searched for a place to have lunch this afternoon. Their was a photo opp around every corner. Shame it's raining or I'd be taking pictures like a mad tourist. I may still just as soon as I get a sunny day. Ya'll are really just not going to believe the beauty their is to behold here.
Well the pound is worth about three of the dollar so I'm off to find a few groceries.
I went walking for the remainder of the day, only covered about half the area and none of the castle though. I'm saving that for a sunnier day, but since the rain stopped and I couldn't wait to show you part of the city I took some pictures after all. Just keep in mind that the sky was bleak and gross so these picture cant show half the potential beauty of these structures. I did see some things worth mentioning while I walked. Including a Skeleton wearing a shirt, a twelve year old girl smoking a cigarette, some beautiful parks and amazing views.
As I was finishing my supper tonight at a great bar on rose street, two Swedish gentlemen at down beside me. Ricky and Aeries couldn't be much older than I am and were visiting Edinburgh with their girlfriends. Towards the end of our conversation they told me about their expiriance playing golf earlier in the day. Which of course posed the question; Will I play golf in Scotland?

The first thing I noticed about Scotland once leaving the airplane was the air. It seems cleaner somehow and I breath more easily here than I usually do; less allergens I guess. Their are also some noticeably good looking girls here as opposed to what I saw in Ireland. Another difference between Scotland and Ireland is ketchup and beer. The Irish don't eat ketchup so you have to pay for it if you want some. Over all the Scottish don't seem to care one way on another but they keep it on hand for the English so it can be easily found if you ask for it. Every Beer I had in Ireland was a Guinness and was very cold. So far the beer in Scotland seems to be cooled simply by storing it in a cellar. This is not a bad thing though, to my surprise the beer which was locally brewed tasted just fine at just below room temperature.

...see if you can find Christ's face in the third picture. (you'll have to open the pic and zoom in a little to find it, but the subtle detail is impressive.)











1 comment:

Mark and Amy said...

Trey . . . so sorry the rain seems to be following you wherever you go! However, you have captured some fabulous pictures even in the not so fabulous weather. I have heard of the "free couch opportunity". I know of some others who did exactly what you did (going to Europe after graduation for a length of time, etc.) and they secured some of their lodging just that way. I'm kind of with you. I don't know about that. However, in light of the dollar to pound ratio, it sounds pretty good! :) Oh well, we're having fun reading your entries so keep it up. Continue to be safe. We'll talk to you soon!
Love,
Aunt Amy and Uncle Mark