Monday, June 2, 2008

06/02/08; The park and Giles Cathedral

Their were many clouds I the sky today, but as they slowly cleared the weather became more favorable and I went for a walk. I went through the park and then continued up to Giles Cathedral where I saw some very beautiful architecture (i actually included very little of it here, the unfortunate thing about what Ive seen here so far is that pictures seem hardly capable of grasping the beautiful reality). the most interesting parts was the chapel built for the order of the thistle (a group of knights). As I was leaving I noticed them setting up for a concert so I returned in the evening to see the Harriet-Watt symphonic orchestra perform Schubert's unfinished eighth symphony and Beethoven's fifth. Both were performed well however I preferred Schubert's eighth because it was shorter and I had never heard it before. I also found it interesting that in certain portions of the symphony Schubert's eighth almost seemed to have an entirely different song playing in the background.




No comments: