Monday, June 23, 2008

06/20/08-06/24/08; day's with out wifi or a hostel

Valencia is defiantly my favorite city that my brothers have been able to see with me, It’s calm and beautiful here. Unfortunately after the first night we were thrown out of the hostel and were forced to spend the remainder of our time here in a three bed hotel room for about the same price. The up side is security and comfort, but personally I prefer the hostel because you meet new people and learn more.

The first day we had here we spent doing the history thing, after finding the hotel room of course). We saw some cool cathedrals and walked along the river bed park until we came to the aquarium and art buildings. The river bed was ok, but the architecture used in the aquarium, arts museum, science museum, and buildings nearby was amazing. We went and saw the Aquarium while we were their, it is supposed to be the largest in Europe (or so Im told). Generally it was a aquarium; fish behind glass and sharks around a tube. The dolphin show made it all worth while. I had no idea that Dolphins were that smart. Some of the things I saw them do seemed impossible to communicate to another human with out speaking the same language, much less an entirely different species.










The second day we were there we were there we went to a little town outside of Valencia called Bunol where I had heard there was some great hiking and a crater lake. Well that little bed and breakfast had lied to me because there was absolutely no lake to be found. This was a true test because honestly no one in Bunol spoke any English. Luckily my Spanish seems to work ok, it’s seriously lacking sometimes. But usually people understand what I’m asking even if I can’t completely understand their reply. After a great snack at a local bar, we left in search of our mysterious lake. And even though we never found the lake, we did do some pretty challenging mountain climbing while looking for it.





The last day we went to the city beach, which was shallow and crowded. I missed the open rough waters of South Carolina, but we got some sun and enjoyed ourselves anyways. We have had high hopes of talking to the locals this entire time, but unfortunately it seems that while my Spanish is adequate for business situations, personal conversation seems nearly impossible with out using English. Some how the famous night life seems to elude us here; with out the help of more experienced hostel mates it seems we may never figure out what people actually do at night here. The only time we ever seem to find them is when their all obviously heading home.

Today we’ve arrived in Madrid, sadly the last stop on my brothers tour of Europe. I feel like they’ve enjoyed themselves though, especially the mountain climbing. I’m sure they have many stories for everyone at home.

No comments: